Monday, February 23, 2009

My Top Ten Oscar Gowns From the 2009 Red Carpet


The Oscars is my second-favorite night of the year, after Christmas Eve. I'm still feeling the buzz!

Not only does it celebrate one of my favorite art forms - film - but I love the marriage between the film industry and the fashion industry: The Red Carpet.

For someone who doesn't bother much about what I look like day-to-day, I am someone who loves to dress up for special occasions. And I love haute couture. Oscar Night sends me into paroxysms of glee.

For today's Through the Opera Glasses, here are my personal favorites among the gowns that appeared on the Red Carpet Sunday night.


1 - My favorite: Evan Rachel Wood is stunning in this sculpted cream-colored Elie Saab gown.















2 - Natalie Portman is radiant in her pink strapless gown by Rodarte.















3 - Nancy O'Dell in a graceful white grecian gown by Pamela Rolland.















4 - Virginia Madsen in a dramatic red Kevan Hall strapless gown.















5 - Daniela Barbosa de Carneiro, Lady Kingsley with her husband Sir Ben Kingsley. She wears a frothy orange grecian gown whose designer I couldn't identify.













6 - Alicia Keyes in a beautifully-draped lavender Armani Prive gown.















7 - Diane Lane with her husband Josh Brolin. So elegant in a black strapless Dolce and Gabbana gown.














8 - Producer Susan Levin with her husband, Robert Downey Jr. She wears an artfully-draped red strapless Blumarine gown with a rhinestone belt detail.













9 - Taraji P. Henson glows in this white tiered Roberto Cavalli gown.















10 - Amy Adams is bold in a classic red strapless gown by Carolina Herrera.














Both Diane Lane and Amy Adams made my list last year. You can check out my 2008 picks HERE.