Monday, May 31, 2010

May Art Show - The Prodigal Son's Return

















Last month I was prompted to put this art show up on my Sidebar Art Gallery because of the third piece, The Prodigal Son in Modern Life: The Return by James Tissot. I have that one in my Scorpius picture file, which I gather like a storyboard. I grab lots of images from the web that put me in the middle of my story, and I have a picture file for all of my stories.

I also have several physical collages of my stories because my writers' group does collage workshops every now and then. I love doing them.

I was drawn to the art inspired by the Prodigal Son's story because of the dynamic between the father and son. Particularly for Scorpius, who isn't a Prodigal sort in any way, but who longs for his father because he was abandoned and never claimed.

In my Weekend Writer's Retreat serial fiction, this longing for a father figure finds refuge in his falconer master, Richolf.














Detail from The Prodigal Son by Duane Michals
























Prodigal son sketch by Charlie Mackesy



















The Prodigal Son in Modern Life: The Return by James Tissot

















The Return of the Prodigal Son by Guercino
























The Return of The Prodigal Son by Pompeo Batoni
























The Return of the Prodigal Son by J-L Stapleaux





















The Return of the Prodigal Son by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo
























The Prodigal's Return by Edward John Poynter
























The Prodigal Son by Edward Stott