Monday, March 22, 2010

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

















After my overtime shift at the office this evening, I walked over to wait for the bus, only to stop dead in my tracks.

A headline on the front of the Chronicle Herald caught my eye from the newspaper box at the edge of the sidewalk.

Historic U.S. Health Bill Passes

As you know, I am a proud Canadian. But I am also a proud American. I was born at the Fort Hood army hospital in Killeen, Texas, where my dad served in the U.S. army.

As I stood on the sidewalk reading words I never thought I would, my heart absolutely swelled inside my chest. It's a wonder I didn't burst out crying right there at the bus stop.

For today's Through the Opera Glasses, I dedicate this song to all of the Americans who have bravely voted this bill into existence.

I also dedicate this song to the Americans who have fought against this bill.

"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me." - Matthew 25:45